About the Board
The Prescription Drug Affordability Board is an independent unit of state government tasked with protecting Marylanders and the Maryland health care system from the high costs of prescription drug products. The Board consists of five members who possess expertise in the fields of either health care economics or clinical medicine. The Members of the Board serve staggered terms, and are selected as follows:
- One member is appointed by the Governor;
- One member is appointed by the President of the Senate;
- One member is appointed by the Speaker of the House of Delegates;
- One member is appointed by the Attorney General for the State of Maryland; and
- One member is appointed jointly by the Senate President and the House Speaker to serve as chair of the board.
The Board is also supported by a professional staff, including an executive director and a general counsel.